Tuesday, December 7, 2010

tell the truth?

I was jogging on the treadmill at the gym the other day, and saw a few lines on the tv about the wikileaks situation. I figured some government website had accidently leaked information to the public. It piqued my interest slightly.
Later, I asked Darrin what he knew, and he said that some military official has illegally leaked a bunch of documents but we dont know who.
Today, I understand.
And I am angry, justly angry, about what it currently going on in the world. This thing is BIG. I think this issue would divide people straight down the middle in a basic human argument: Should you tell the truth or not?

That question is complicated because many believe you should NOT tell the truth in many cases. I wholeheartedly disagree, because I know what it feels like to discover that people around you are directing YOUR life by withholding information about YOU. I will never decide someone else's future. I would never take someone else's life away. Let them LIVE. Let them know the truth.

If you knew who a friend's parent was, and they did not. Should they spend their whole life not knowing who their father is? Maybe because you decided their father is a bad person. LET THEM DECIDE!

If you knew your friend's husband was cheating on her, would you tell her? Do you really think it is your job to decide if she can handle the truth? SHE CAN HANDLE THE TRUTH! AND SHE DESERVES THE TRUTH. You are not God.

What people dont know WILL hurt them. I do not want to live a lie my entire life. I will not leave the table. We should know who killed JFK by now.

I have been honest at times when I knew it would affect other people most. I have shared information that upset my family, the people I love the most, because they deserve to know the truth and I do not deserve the ability to play God, or decide what they should and should not know. That is character. I told the truth when it would hurt ME. When it would hurt the people I love. And we are all better now because of it, we understand each other in a much more human way. We are closer, happier, and truly know each other.

That all being said, ........of course I support Wikileaks. I support free speech, government transparency, the cause for truth. Time magazine said wikileaks "could become as important a journalistic tool as the Freedom of Information Act."
Wikileaks is non-profit."Wikileaks brings truth to the world by publishing fact-based stories without fear or favor." They are not terrorists. They have been motivated by current events just like I have since 9/11.

I have a feeling my stance may not be the majority. I am angry that Paypal, Visa, MC, and other supposedly non-government companies have shut down access to support wikileaks. I saw that you can still use snail mail to support wikileaks. And of course, the government will still be able to keep secret and confidential information as they wish. This controversy might shut down wikileaks, but I hope not. Honestly.

No comments:

Post a Comment